Building documentation on linux

On Tuesday 29 May 01, Christopher Faylor writes:
> I haven't been able to build the doc directory in winsup for some time,
> after upgrading to a newer Red Hat Linux.  I finally figured out that I
> needed this package:
>
> docbook-dtd30-sgml-1.0-10.noarch.rpm
>
> to build the cygwin documentation on linux.

Where can I find this rpm?  I looked on (a mirror of)
sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/docbook-tools/docware/RPMS.  Maybe it's a
bad mirror?

I must admit I've never attempted to build the sgml-based docs.

> This enabled me to do almost everything but I had to change a label in
> cygwin/path.sgml because it was too long.  In the doc directory, I had
> to add a space after the '-I' in some of the programs that took include
> options, and I had to mess with the creation of faq.html a little.

We must have different versions of texi2html, because my texi2html
1.56k (as shipped with RH-7.0) doesn't like your changes to its
options.  What version do you have now, after upgrading?

> also had to remove sites.texinfo from readme.texinfo (is this still used
> for anything?).

Oops, sorry.  I got rid of sites.texinfo long ago.  I don't think I
have made readme.txt nor readme.html for a very long time, obviously.

> Please let me know if I screwed up anything for any other platforms and
> I'll try to fix it now that I have a tentative grasp on how this stuff
> works.

I suspect this bit breaks 'make faq.hmtl' for me:

-       $(TEXI2HTML) -split_chapter  -v ./faq.texinfo; \
+       $(TEXI2HTML) --split -v ./faq.texinfo; \

(texi2html 1.56k reminds me of its options and --split isn't one of
them) but maybe I can just update texi2html to what you have.

Cheers,
David