Re: setup will have to wait :[

----- Original Message -----
From: "Egor Duda" <deo@LOGOS-M.RU>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: setup will have to wait :[

> Hi!
>
> Friday, 23 March, 2001 Robert Collins robert.collins@itdomain.com.au
wrote:

> RC> For data transfer, I was thinking of using shared named
memory:anyone
> RC> know of caveats for that on win9x?
>
> 1. it won't work with non-cygwin apps.
> 2. the biggest problem with fifo is that there can be several readers
> and several writers. and i don't know how to implement the following
> thing: when all writers die all readers should receive eof. and it
> should work even if writers haven't had a chance to exit gracefully,
> but was killed from taskmanager, for example. Similarly, when all
> readers die, writers should unblock with EPIPE.

1. Do "non-unix" apps understand the concept of a FIFO file? I know that
cygwin already has named pipe support so is there any reason to try and
make FIFO support interoperate (and what should it appear as?)

2. Do you have a reference? So far I've found lots of sys/stat.h header
files :].  If you don't are writes and reads atomic? Do all readers
recieve all the same data from each writer - or do they pair off? (That
sounds rather dirty I know :])

Rob