Re: Outstanding issues with current DLL?

Hi!

Sunday, 11 March, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:

CF> Btw, the reason for the --enable-debugging switch is to build a cygwin1.dll
CF> which timestamps all of its shared memory stuff.  This allows two versions
CF> of cygwin to be running on the system at the same time.

do   we   really   need   this?  suppose a some problem  reports about
current  snapshots  we've  seen  here this week can be due  to several
cygwin1.dll's.  at least freezes can be easily explained if we suppose
such  possibility. when process 'exec's some cygwin program which sees
other  cygwin1.dll,  it surely will break in an unpredictable way when
doing fdtab.fixup_after_exec in dll_crt0_1()

using  CYGWIN_TESTING  environment  variable was enough for me, and at
least i always knew what i doing.

CF> Maybe this will  also solve your "persistent dll" problem as well.
CF>    The   --enable-debugging   also  turns  on  lots  of  internal
CF> consistency checks in cygwin.

i'm  far  from  thinking  that  all  those problems are due to several
cygwin1.dll, but here's my experience -- i run current cvs builds for
about   3  weeks  and it was rock stable on my system. so numerous bug
reports   was  quite  a  surprise   for  me.  but when i intentionally
left  2 different builds of cygwin1.dll on my system it really starts
to freeze and crash.