Re: fcntl(f, F_SETLK, &fl) problem on Cygwin 1.1.8(0.34/3/2)

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:19:36PM +0900, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

>> VED (and similar nvi) does record locking of edited files by first
>> opening the file with O_RDWR and applying a record lock. Then it opens
>> the the file for reading and reads the file into the buffer.
>>
>> This definitely does not work with Cygwin on Win ME.
>>
>> -	Will this work on Win NT ?
>
>No. The locking semantics in Cygwin is completely different from
>UNIX.  A lock is acquired by a file descriptor, not by a process.
>This is the semantics of LockFile or LockFileEx invoked by the
>Cygwin DLL.
>
>> But then there should definitely a fix in cygwin or a hint in the FAQ.
>
>I think such a troublesome locking mechanism should be eliminated
>from the Cygwin DLL or should be noted by a document.

I appreciate the clarification but, as I've noted, if a change in
documentation or source code is appropriate, then I expect someone in
this mailing list to provide it.

Maybe you and Joerg can work together to provide something appropriate?