Re: moving testsuite 1 level up

Hi!

Friday, 01 September, 2000 DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com wrote:

DD> Where  the  testsuite  is,  and  where  it runs, are two different
DD> things.   If   you   put   a   testsuite  anywhere  other  than  a
DD> *subdirectory*  under  winsup/cygwin/testsuite,  dejagnu  won't be
DD> able to run it.

yes, i know. i was meaning to move all cygwin/testsuite directory. the
reason  is  that  new  testsuite  needs some kind of "support", namely
separately  built  library  that all (new) tests are linked with (just
like  it  works  now  with new-libcygwin.a). i just think that pitting
sources  for  this library into separate dir and building this library
separately will be more tidy.

DD> Perhaps it's time to update Maekfile.common to use some $(UPTOP)
DD> (defined to ".." in most cases) variable?

i  wanted  to  to  that but stumbled over code in Makefile.common that
sets updir* and bupdir* vars. i don't understand why not just set them
.. , ../.. and ../../..

and  don't  feel  i  can  mess with the code i don't fully understand.
maybe someone enlighten me on this subject?

DD> Don't forget that testsuites are run with "make check" and should be
DD> integrated into dejagnu.

of course. i propose the followin structure

winsup/
  cygwin/
  utils/
  .../
  testsuite/
     default/
     winsup.api/
        sample/
        ltp/         (new tests sources)
     testsup/
        include/     (headers needed by new tests)
        lib/         (sources of test support library)

testsuite/  will  contain  configure and Makefile.in whick when turned
into Makefile and called with "make" will just build testsup library,
and when called with "make check" will invoke runtest.