EBX use (was Issues about cygwin)

It appears the Visual C generates code that assumes that the EBX
register is preserved across function calls. From the Visual C doco:

----------------
Argument Passing and Naming Conventions

All arguments are widened to 32 bits when they are passed. Return values
are also widened to 32 bits and returned in the EAX register, except for
8-byte structures, which are returned in the EDX:EAX register pair.
Larger structures are returned in the EAX register as pointers to hidden
return structures. Parameters are pushed onto the stack from right to
left.

The compiler generates prolog and epilog code to save and restore the
ESI, EDI, EBX, and EBP registers, if they are used in the function.