RE: setup: built-in tar

> * tar and gzip are GPL; we have to ship the sources for them with
>   every setup.exe.

If I remember my GPL correctly all you have to do is make the sources
available.  Posting them on the same server in a reasonably conspicuous
location meets this requirement.

> We are creating cygwin, and we are supporting it.  If the user does
> something different and we break, whose fault is it?  I'd rather that
> setup guarantee a valid installation and let the user muck with it
> afterwards, than let setup take a chance with a random user
> configuration.

Just something to think about, how do we deal with their mucking for updates
via "setup -u"?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, you have many good points
that I snipped for reply brevity.  I always appreciate a well thought out
solution.  IMO this is the kind of discussion that this list was designed
for.

application/ms-tnef