Re: [RFD]: fcntl call substituting `setmode'

Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 10:15:32PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >[...]
> >I would like that more than the Windowish calls
> >and we could get rid of the io.h file for cygwin.
> >Not instantly of course.
>
> Except that get_osfhandle and setmode are both standard methods
> for doing things in Windows.  They weren't invented for cygwin.

Of course not. But as you say, they are part of windows
standard methods. So they should not necessarily be part
of cygwin whereas they are obviously needed for mingw.

> setmode, in particular, is actually implemented on some other systems, I
> believe.  It's probably a no-op but...

We don't have to drop that calls. Personally I like
that fcntl call more and if we had one, I would prefer
it's usage.

> It's possible that your fcntl method actually is implemented that way
> in Microsoft-land.  Have you checked msdn?  If so, we should definitely
> implement it.

They aren't implemented in M$-land. They don't have a
fcntl or _fcntl call.