Re: setup.exe in the "latest" directory (more installer testing)

Mikey, thanks for the clue. I have the "default" mount points as defined
by the setup.exe installer.

BASH.EXE-2.03$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
C:\Cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         binmode
C:\Cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         binmode
C:\Cygwin           /                   user         binmode

I frankly have no idea what this binmode stuff means
(I am new to cygwin), but your note seemed to
indicate that it matters in some way, so I decided
to see if building autoconf in the cygwin directories
instead of on another drive fixed things.

First, I copied the autoconf tar file to C:/Cygwin/tmp,
then I started up bash and went there.

BASH.EXE-2.03$ cd /tmp
BASH.EXE-2.03$ tar -xvf autoconf-2.13.tar
BASH.EXE-2.03$ cd autoconf-2.13
BASH.EXE-2.03$ ./configure
BASH.EXE-2.03$ make
BASH.EXE-2.03$ make install

Then I ran autoconf to see if it worked, it did!

BASH.EXE-2.03$ autoconf
BASH.EXE-2.03$

I decided to try something else, I copied the autoconf
tar file to C:/Temp and did the same thing.

BASH.EXE-2.03$ cd /cygdrive/c/Temp
BASH.EXE-2.03$ tar -xvf autoconf-2.13.tar
BASH.EXE-2.03$ cd autoconf-2.13
BASH.EXE-2.03$ ./configure
BASH.EXE-2.03$ make
BASH.EXE-2.03$ make install

BASH.EXE-2.03$ autoconf
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
/USR/LOCAL/BIN/autoconf: 41: Syntax error: expecting "in"

So it seems rather clear that building things on a mounted drive
like /cygdrive/c is screwing things up in some way. I was not
able to find out the "mode" that /cygdrive/c was mounted with
because when I type the mount command, mounted drives do
not show up. I don't know if that is a bug or a feature. At any
rate, I am now happy as a clam as I can actually run
autoconf, but I am also disturbed by this problem because
I am sure other people are going to run into it and be as
confused as I was.

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.