Re: setup.exe questions

>From: DJ Delorie <dj@delorie.com>

<snip>

>I would think that if you can use IE to view pages outside the
>firewall, you should be able to use those same DLLs and configuration
>to download *any* file from your application.  I have no idea how to
>do this, of course, but it's one of those things MS keeps touting as
>"innovation".

That's what WININET is. It is the API that IE uses to access the Internet.
It includes the user's proxy settings and does not require you to prompt for
a user name or password. Although in some situations it may prompt the user
for his password or initiate a dialout to connect to the ISP. (These are all
things I don't want to code from scratch or first principles for our British
friends.)

> > BTW, I have the compression code in the setup program.
>
>Good.  Can it auto-detect gzip vs bzip vs uncompressed, and tar vs
>zip?

To clarify, right now it is just the compression code to extract the
compressed cygwin1.dll, gzip.exe and tar.exe files from the resources of
setup.exe.  The application currently handles gzipped packages. I will add
bzip and zip support after the "intelligent behavior" and download
automation is coded.

<snip>