Re: Installation Routine

> Just to clarify.  My question was more about what format the packages being
> served by Cygnus might take.  The preview that DJ put up had .tar.gz files.

I use gzip out of habit.  I could use either.  When developing, I
prefer gzip because it's faster.

> I was curious if he had considered using .tar.bz2 files or not.  Personally
> I can deal with either or both in the setup program.  The code changes for
> me would be minimal.

Any install program should be able to handle both gzip and bzip2
compressed files automatically.  Zip format would be nice also.
DJGPP's djtar, for example, auto-handles both .tar.gz and .zip files.

> Using bzip2 tends to trim 10-20% more off of compressed tar files than gzip.
> Reducing the load on a network by 10% can have a much larger than 10% impact
> on performance due to decreasing packet collisions.  However any potential
> gains would be mitigated if the servers were supplying incorrect MIME
> information causing the browser to do CR-CR/LF conversion or opening the
> file as an HTML page.

We can fix the MIME problems.  Plus, a setup program could be
programmed to ignore the MIME types and auto-detect the type of file
based on the contents.