Re: Can we include a crypt() package in cygwin now?

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:
> Does anyone know if the loosening of export restrictions will
> allow us to include a crypt() implementation in cygwin?

As always, you need to actually read the new legal document before
choosing to do so. Some of you already know about the Bernstein
vs US case in the 9th.

Here's some recent info from Alan Coopersmith
<alanc@godzilla.eecs.berkeley.edu> via gnu.misc.discuss:

  The new export regulations that were proposed in September, along with
  CESA, still have yet to be finalized. much less enacted/implemented.
  See http://www.cdt.org/crypto/ for the current draft.

  As for the Bernstein case, you can read the current status at these
  sites:
  http://www.eff.org/bernstein/
  http://www.cdt.org/crypto/litigation/

  including the warning:

  For those interested in exporting encryption products: The
  decision does not immediately allow free export of compiled
  software or hardware. It appears to very narrowly allow the
  export of Dan Bernstein's Snuffle and similar source code, but
  even that result has been stayed (i.e., delayed) while the
  course of further proceedings in the case is sorted out. Those
  interested in exporting encryption should still seek the advice of a
  lawyer or risk criminal penalties.

  The Bureau of Export Administration has a similar statement on it's
  home page at http://www.bxa.doc.gov/factsheets/EncryptCase.html

Regards,
Mumit