Re: pthreads status? [was Re: [Fwd: Many changes in latest snapshot]]

Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:

> No, not that I'm aware of.

Didn't think so, but better to ask ...

> >2. Why not try to reuse code from pthreads-win32 project? License
> >   issue raises its ugly head again (isn't the copyright there owned
> >   by Cygnus as well?)?
>
> The code should be copyright Cygnus since Ben Elliston developed it, so
> there is no reason not to integrate it, I guess.  I have always thought
> that it would be a culture clash since pthreads-win32 does not understand
> anything about cygwin.  I would think that that would be important.

I agree. However, there are quite a few features that are somewhat
runtime independent, and we should look at those parts. I'm a bit
confused as to some of the choices made in the implementation
(especially the types), but I need a better picture before I can
comment objectively. I'll be spending 30 quality hours in airplanes
next week, so that may be the opportunity.

> Maybe if somebody else contacted them they would be more amenable to
> discussing pthreads and possibly they have even continued to develop
> the code.

That was the primary purpose of my message, to shake these folks out.
But then again, needs change and people move on, so we might as well
pick it up and get working.

Regards,
Mumit