Re: cygwin PATH reorg?

Geoffrey Noer <noer@cygnus.com> writes:

> This doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  Somewhat hidden cleverness
> is really dangerous.  Could better documentation possibly accomplish
> the same goals?  Dunno, but I would think that would be preferable.

I'm not sure what you mean adding /bin to the PATH automagically. I,
as a user, don't care as long as my PATH does not change after the
shell evaluates my startup files (.profile, etc). If you can add /bin
as the first element to the PATH variable before it gets to my startup
file, it sounds like a good idea.

I'm in favor of the Unix'y login approach -- setup a default bare
environment, and then let the actual user startup take care of the
rest. This bare environment setup process can put /bin, however it is
found, before the rest of the User's existing PATH (done via Windows/DOS);
then .bashrc/.profile does the rest.

I'd think /bin should be easy to find. Have the installer add a registry
entry that says where it was installed (it's already there in a way), and
use that to find /bin.

Regards,
Mumit