Re: Terminal handling with the 990809 snapshot

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 02:56:46PM -0400, Glenn Spell wrote:
>On 11 Aug 1999 around  3:40PM (-0400) Chris Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 09:09:56PM -0400, Glenn Spell wrote:
>>>If I log into Cygwin with any shell and immediately issue the command
>>>"ls --color", I can see the color appear for an instant, but then it
>>>disappears and everything is black and white.  If I continue issuing
>>>the same command, somewhere around the third to the fifth try...  the
>>>color will "stick".
>>>
>>>This behavior started with the 990626 snapshot and continues thru the
>>>990809 snapshot.
>>
>>That's undoubtedly because I backed out the scroll "fixes" that were
>>submitted for Windows 95.  They caused many problems for many people
>>but they probably fixed that particular behavior.
>
>I don't know about what Keith Reynolds did, but Kazuhiro Fujieda seems
>to have put considerable effort into the scroll patches.

I remember one patch that, IIRC, essentially reverted to the previous
behavior.  I may be mistaken but I don't remember any indication of
considerable effort.  Perhaps Kazuhiro will correct me if I'm wrong.

>Also, I never witnessed any of the problems reported with the patches.
>Perhaps there's also a termcap problem.  I did, however, witness the
>slowness problems that Kazuhiro was working on.

Ok.  Many many people experienced problems however, including me.

>There are screen attributes and display performance issues still
>outstanding.  I'd work on this if I knew how.  Can the issue be
>"revisited"?

If someone wants to take a stab at correcting the behavior, I'd be
happy to look at patches.  I won't accept anything that slows down
scrolling or causes cygwin to update the screen incorrectly.

-chris