Re: ntsec patch 10

Hi!

August 7 1999 Corinna Vinschen corinna@vinschen.de wrote:

CV> Unfortunately, with the 5-Aug snapshot, nothing has changed in the described
CV> behaviour of `man' and `make'.

CV> The output of man is as with 3-Aug snapshots:

CV>   /usr/local/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
CV>   /usr/local/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
CV>    0 0 [main] D:\bin\sh.exe 1034 sig_send: error sending signal(-3) to
CV>   pid 1034, Win32 error 6

CV> regardless of the setting of ntsec.

CV> It's always bash, which has this problem!
CV> I have made tests with zsh and ksh as /bin/sh with funny results:

CV> zsh:
CV>         make runs without problems
CV>         man results in no output but in no sig_send error, too.
CV> ksh:
CV>         make runs without problems
CV>         man results in
CV>           /usr/local/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
CV>           /usr/local/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
CV>         but without the sig_send error message.

groff error was due to 1-Aug change in constructor handling, which
Chris had reverted in the 2-Aug Snapshot. groff is written in c++, and
one of constructors, which adds /usr/local/share/groff to path list in
which groff should search for devascii/DESC file, wasn't called
because of this change. So, groff tried to find its device info in
current directory. But all later snapshots i've tried -- they all work
ok with man.