[RFC] apache-cygwin licensing conflicts

Hello,

this is a request for comments on the issue of integrating our apache
port to the official Apache Group distribution. I'm currently dealing
with the guys from apache.org to add our cygwin patch to their
distribution.

At least adding the patch to the source distribution would not violate
any of both -- cygwin nor apache -- licensing agreements since the
cygwin license only applies for binaries, is that right?

Unfortunatly any binary distrbution would ether violate the cygwin or
apache license, since both _would_ apply to the binary.

Someone of you "officials" at Cygnus has stated that Cygnus may grand
flexible privilidges at least for special purposes or occations for the
cygwin library license. Since apache is an huge and accepted project and
we would allow Win32 based users to use a posix complatible apache
version beside the commercial Win32 native MSVC version this would be a
great opportunity.

May it be possible -- regarding Cygnus officials side -- to grand a more
flexible and compatible licensing term to be able to fully support the
cygwin platform within the apache official distrbution?

Best regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany