Re: b21 -- various small issues

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 02:34:52AM -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
>1. Add cygwin specific pathname handling in egcs (soon to be aka GCC3!).
>   I'm going to try to get it into upcoming egcs-1.2. This will force
>   POSIX pathnames no matter how you specify the files via command line
>   and env variables. Chris knows about this.

This one definitely has to go in.  I'll hold up a release for this.

>2. Rehash the issue of entry point names. Both Chris and DJ had mentioned
>   it in the past, but nobody seems to have taken the bait to submit
>   patches.

I would like to make entry point stuff seamless but I don't know if it
is possible and I don't think that either DJ or I will have the time
to investigate it.

>3. Add new entry point for --subsystem,windows to avoid the annoying
>   warning about missing entry point, and also to force WinMain to be
>   pulled out of archives (see the problem report regarding V in the
>   recent cygwin mailing list). This also allows us to set a flag the
>   tells winsup whether the app is console or GUI and act accordingly
>   if necessary.

See #2.

>4. Revisit the issue of multiple entry points and see if the *foreign*
>   hack is still needed. It may not be needed anymore, but I'm in no
>   position to check at present.

See #2.

>5. New binutils with DJ's ld --shared? If so, we need the fix for
>   initialized common problem if not already there. DJ knows about this.

This will definitely be included.  This is one of the reasons why I'd
like to make a new release.  We've also got some PE improvements from
Interix that we'll be including.

>1. Distinguish between console and GUI app by setting a flag in the
>   startup so that we can change the error function to either write to
>   console (current default) or to use MessageBox if GUI.

If someone wants to do this, that's OK with me.

>2. Fix small_vsprintf to use FormatMessage and friends to use the
>   appropriate win32 error message. We could use the GUI or console
>   app flag to write to console or use MessageBox here as well.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  If you mean that it could display
the error message rather than an error number for the '%E' type then
that's fine.  It's something that I've been round tuiting for a while.

There is one problem with the new mount code that needs to be fixed.
I think that you should always be able to refer to drive c as /cygdrive/c
regardless of whether c: is mounted as root or whatever.  Currently
that is not possible.

-chris