Re: Patch, Version 2: UNIX-like permissions on objects

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 1999, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > How would you like to get the information about the users
> > default shell???
>
> Consider shadow passwd files on Unix.  The actual passwords are
> stored elsewhere; this is a little like what we're already doing
> with Cygwin in that the passwds are kept in the Windows OS.
> We can continue to use a physical /etc/passwd as an optional file to
> keep home directories and shells but have Cygwin handle the rest?
> If a user doesn't have an /etc/passwd entry, then slash would be
> their home and bash would be their default shell.
>
> Opinions?

So, IMHO, we already (nearly) do, what should be done! The inetd
of the remote package already read NT password, the passwd utility
sets the password.
To read also comment and home directory from NT user database is
a trivial thing.
But the problem, from my point of view, is the attachment of a user
to the primary NT group.
Exists a useful solution for this problem anywhere???

Corinna