Re: Question about making changes...

Chris Faylor wrote:

> The development sources are always "moving right along" and often we discuss
> the changes we're making in the cygwin-developers mailing list.
>
> You can easily find out what has changed by inspecting the ChangeLog entries.
> That's one of the reasons DJ made the ChangeLog entries available.
>
> I do appreciate the fact that you decided to pitch in and help but I am
> somewhat mystified as to why you would expect sources that are 1.5
> months old to be the correct place to start.  We provide the snapshots
> to developers so that they can get the latest versions.  I realize that
> it's not easy to keep up with a moving target but you should still look
> for the latest and greatest if you are about to undertake making
> changes.

Well, that was part of the question...  I know that the snapshots are
	1) not always compilable to the DLL
	2) and reading the changelog, I did see that there were several
function deleted and re-added and then deleted again in path.cc.

	You have to start somwhere, and the stable sources from 1/15 seemed
logical at the time.  I did download the snapshot from 2/22
(cygwin-src-19990222.tar.gz) and it did not compile.  So somewhere btwn
1/15 and 2/22 somthing broke.  It may have been a problem here.  At that
time I wasn't able to dig into it further.

	So it not really a complaint, but what to do....

	Even after all this I still have a much better feel for the code than I
did before.  I even downloaded the eval of Source-Navigator in order to
see if it would help.  It did.