ITA (was Re: python2 removal)

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 13:29:59 GMT 2023

On 15/03/2023 12:56, Brian Inglis via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2023-03-14 13:17, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>> On 15/01/2023 12:52, Jon Turney via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>>
>>> This has come up in discussion a few times, and is now well overdue,
>>> I think.
>>>
>>> Python 2.7 is the last python2 version, which was sunsetted on
>>> January 1, 2020.
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 3) There might also still be some other packages lurking which just
>>> install a script with a shebang containing 'python', and assume that
>>> python is python2. I don't know how we could identify those.
>>
>> The remaining cases of packages which have a dependency on python
>> and/or python2 are either this (packages which contain a python script
>> with a python shebang line), or the other case which I hadn't
>> previously considered - a package which contain an executable or
>> shared library linked with libpython2.7.dll.
>>
>> So, again I need inspect these to determine what should happen to them.

[..]

> I'd like to adopt *xlsx2csv* - for an initial build see:

Jari is still the maintainer of record for that package, so I need to
give him an opportunity to reply here.

> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi?id=5607
> https://cygwin.com/cgit/cygwin-packages/playground/commit/?id=af279166a903b526274f8b10264e206fc5010a68
> https://github.com/cygwin/scallywag/actions/runs/4419738199
>
> The author remains the same but version numbering staggers around then
> jumps to 0.5 and is now up to 0.8.1.
> The manual was a POD file from Jaari run thru pod2man for 0.11 from
> 2010, but very outdated now, not to mention using Perl docs for Python
> modules, so I'm rewriting from help2man output to be current,
> comprehensive, and functional with `groff -man`.
>
> [I use it to get data into portable form, make it threat free, and fake
> spreadsheets for my accountant, if I want to use gvim instead of
> Gnumeric or Libre Office calc! ;^> ]

The critical piece of data I'm missing here is which of these is true:

a) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current
version doesn't work when python is python3, so an upgrade is needed to
continue working when python2 is removed, or

b) This package contains a script with a python shebang. The current
version will continue to work when python is python3.