Planned setup.ini changes for early 2018

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 19:02:00 GMT 2018

On 13/01/2018 18:35, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jon Turney writes:
>> * De-duplicate source archives
>>
>> Source archives which are identical[2] between x86 and x86_64 will be
>> moved to paths starting src/ in the release area.
>
> You keep acting like using a new src/ hierarchy was already decided
> upon, yet I don't remember it even getting discussed.  So, can we have
> that discussion before decision, please?

The purpose of my original email is to start that discussion.

> To repeat, I think a separate src/ hierarchy would be a mistake, given
> where we are today, although it has a certain appeal from a greenfield
> perspective.  But more to the point, there is nothing special about
> source archives (except that they're not architecture specific) that
> warrants putting them into their own hierarchy, IMHO.  If they are going
> to get moved on deduplication (there are good reasons to move them and
> these likely outweight the benefits of just deleting them in one side of
> the hierarchy), we already have a place for that and that place is
> noarch/.  That keeps everything in working order for folks who for
> whatever reason mirror the repository, even if the only mirror one
> architecture.
If I've understood correctly, your objection is that this will break
installing source packages from mirrors which choose to mirror selected
subdirectories (e.g. x86_64/ and noarch/).

I guess I consider that counterbalanced by the ability to selectively
not mirror src/.