Re: [ITP] man-italic

On 21/04/2017 08:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 19.04.2017 um 20:38 schrieb Jon Turney:
On 28/09/2016 20:46, Thomas Wolff wrote:
The man-italic wrapper scripts enable italic display in manual pages
(where italic is specified in the page) in terminals supporting
italic mode.

wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-0.tar.bz2
wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/man-italic-0.9-src.tar.bz2
wget http://towo.net/cygwin/man-italic/setup.hint

This seems to have fallen through the cracks and been completely
forgotten.  Sorry about that.
Fine you noticed anyway:)

Looking at this, I see that this is not a cygport package.  While this
is something which has been done historically, and I know it may seen
overkill for something this small, it's something I'm very reluctant
to see in new packages.
As you say, overkill; I've fiddled around with cygport a few times
already and I can't say I'm happy with it. While it seems to be
powerful, especially basic use isn't documented in a basic way... Would
you have a pattern for a script-only package for me, or even ready-to-use?

We could certainly do with some commented examples of cygport files in the packaging guide, but SHTDI...

Here's an attempt at a man-italic.cygport:

NAME=man-italic
VERSION=0.9
RELEASE=0
ARCH=noarch

LICENSE="Public Domain"
CATEGORY="Utils Doc"
SUMMARY="Enabling italic display in manual pages"
DESCRIPTION="man-italic installs two scripts and hooks them into the workflow of the 'man' command so that the italic attribute of manual pages is actually displayed in italics in terminals that support it."

SRC_URI="https://github.com/mintty/man-italic/releases/download/${VERSION}/man-italic-${VERSION}.tar.bz2";
SRC_DIR="man-italic"

src_compile() {
    :
}

src_install() {
    cd ${S}
    doman man-italic.7
    insinto /usr/share/${NAME}
    doins grotty iroff
    insinto /etc/postinstall
    newins postinstall ${NAME}.sh
    insinto /etc/preremove
    newins preremove ${NAME}.sh
}

The license which applies to the original work here needs to be stated.
Checking the package contributor's guide, a license does not seem to be
strictly necessary, so I thought for a simple thing it could go as
public domain implicitly. But if you prefer, I'll attach a gnu to it.

Public domain is fine. But we need a statement inside the source package what license applies.

I hope you can see that this is a simple consequence of the need to know that we can distribute the package.

It would be helpful if the description clarified that what this does
is "show italic text in man pages properly as italic, rather than as
underlined"
You mean the sdesc one-liner, not ldesc? I'd like to include the
"enabling" aspect because the package does not do the actual display
itself and does not need to be invoked as a tool, like:
sdesc: "Enabling proper italic display of italic text in man pages,
rather than underlined"

It's more that I was so used seeing underlined text in my manpages I didn't realize that it was supposed to be italic :-)

That said, this works and is pretty cool. Nice!
Thanks. Would that be a "GTG" after sorting out the issues, or are still
3 supporters needed as there used to be?

Thinking about this a bit more, I have concerns about the preremove/postinstall scripts.

These certainly won't correctly handle the groff package being upgraded.

Is it possible to change groff to use alternatives so this package can take over grotty? Or patch this into groff and have this package just install an indicator file which turn on that behaviour?