Re: [ITP] words - Dictionary file

BASEURL=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119453582/Cygwin/noarch/release
>>> This needs to be coordinated with Warren's proposal:
>>> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-07/msg00015.html
>> the two packages seem to provide different word lists.
>> In theory both can coexist
> Not as they stand - both packages provide the /usr/share/dict/words symlink.
> I've done a little digging. Here's where /usr/share/dict/words comes from
on various distros:
> - words - ALT, Arch?, CentOS, Fedora, Mageia, OpenMandriva, ROSA
> - bsd-games - Slackware (that's just plain wrong!)
> - wamerican - Ubuntu
> - Not present at all - Debian?
> 'miscfiles' is available on Debian and Ubuntu, but nether provides the
/usr/share/dict/words symlink.

On Debian, miscfiles and others provide virtual package wordlist which is
provided in /etc/dictionaries-common/; miscfiles /usr/share/dict/web2
is symlinked as /etc/dictionaries-common/words which is symlinked as
/usr/share/dict/words. Spelling and other dictionary packages also provide
wordlists and other dictionary types linked thru /etc/dictionaries-common/.
Setup is by sysadmin selecting a language or variation.

> Obviously, we don't have to follow any of that - this is just an
> observation of what other distros do.
> How should Cygwin proceed? Is this a case for alternatives, or is that a
> little over the top for a dictionary? Should one of the packages drop
> the symlink? Do we need both 'miscfiles' and 'words' packages? Should we
> drop 'words' if 'miscfiles' provides a superset of the data?

Debian does not use alternatives for this, but its own standard locations
and symlinks for virtual packages: alternatives looks like mainly tools, man
pages, some libs, icons, images, lots for Gnome.