Re: Changing Setup's license to GPLv3+

Warren Young writes:
>>  I'm not trying to do that single-handedly and without reason.  I'm
>> asking here to reach out to the current active developers.  A switch
>> from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+ works without having to reach out to *all*
>> copyright holder.
>
> I donât think I agree with that.

"9. Each version [of the GPL] is given a distinguishing version number. If
the Program specifies a version number of this License which applies to
it and âany later versionâ, you have the option of following the terms
and conditions either of that version or of any later version published
by the Free Software Foundation. If the Program does not specify a
version number of this License, you may choose any version ever
published by the Free Software Foundation."

> Letâs say I write a standalone program and license it under GPLv2+ and
> give you a copy.  You canât then relicense it under GPLv3 or GPLv3+
> just because I said âor laterâ in the license.  *I* can relicense it,
> but only because I hold the original copyright.

"2.b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
under the terms of this License."

> All âor laterâ gives you the right to do is treat the code *as if* I
> had originally licensed it as v3, and then only if you want to.  This
> lets you link v2+ code to v3.  (But not v2-only code to v3!  More
> below.)

But it does permit this.  That's the whole point of licensing GPLv2+
rather than GPLv2.

> I think youâd still have to get permission from all people who still
> have code in the current setup.exe sources.

The copyright isn't touched in any way and the license the copyright
holders chose expressedly allows the distribution under a later version
of that license.

Regards,
Achim.