Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?

> On 13/08/2015 07:19, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > I've noticed that when I update a package, the exe's in it get killed.  For
> > example, when emacs gets updated, my running emacsen die.
> >
> > Is this something that setup explicitly does, for all packages?  Or that some
> > packages do for themselves in a preremove script?  Or just a byproduct of
> > replacing a running exe?
>
> Since [1], if a dll or exe can't be updated because it is loaded into a
> process, setup can terminate the process.
>
> But this isn't something it should be doing *silently*, there being both
> a dialog to request permission to kill the process, and logging of the
> process being killed, so I'm not sure how you can be unclear on this?
>
> [1]
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-setup.git;a=commit;h=ec366f61ad90cab92bc685900281e1cfe4cc7cb1

OK. Right, I have seen and used that dialog.  But more often, I just notice that
after an update, processes have exited.  This happened to me recently with
mintty, for example, but there have been others.

Anyway, that answers my question.  If I want to be sure a process from one of my
packages exits, I need to put a killall into its preremove script.

Thanks,
Andrew