Re: perl-5.22.0-RC2 / Perl distributions

On 7/10/2015 3:33 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 14:30 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/25/2015 2:45 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
BTW, I contacted Philip Kime, the author of Biber, about
Unicode::Normalize.  He told me that version 1.18 is unusably slow.
Here's a bug report he filed about it:

I think he's planning to pursue it further.

It doesn't look like anything is going to change in the near future.
According to the bug report I cited, Biber runs slower by a factor of 20
with version 1.18 of Unicode::Normalize than with version 1.17.  I don't
think that's acceptable.

The only solution I can think of is to ship Biber as a self-contained
Perl Archive made with PAR::Packer[*], built with version 1.17 of
Unicode::Normalize.  I've gotten the latter from backpan and built it
locally using the attached cygport file.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Just ship 1.17 instead as curr:?

Sure, if that's OK with Achim. I'm not sure what impact that might have on other Perl modules that depend on Unicode::Normalize, if we have any in the distro.

Ken