Re: [ITP] busybox 1.23.2-1

On Jun 25 23:18, Christian Franke wrote:
> I would like to contribute the BusyBox multi-call binary.
>
> http://www.busybox.net/
>
> Download:
> wget -e robots=off -np -nH --cut-dirs=1 -R'index.html*' -r \
>   http://chrfranke.no-ip.org/cygwin/x86/release/busybox \
>   http://chrfranke.no-ip.org/cygwin/x86_64/release/busybox \
>
> --------------
> setup.hint:
> category: Shells Utils
> requires: cygwin
> sdesc: "Tiny utilities in a single executable"
> ldesc: "Busybox combines tiny versions of many common utilities
> into a single executable."
>
> busybox-standalone/setup.hint:
> category: Shells Utils
> requires: cygwin
> sdesc: "Tiny utilities in a single executable (stand-alone version)"
> ldesc: "Busybox combines tiny versions of many common utilities
> into a single executable.
> This package contains a version of Busybox compiled with
> 'standalone shell' feature enabled."
> external-source: busybox
> --------------

Packaging looks good, but...

AFAIU busybox-standalone is what the name suggests.  It's the version of
busybox with the builtin commands.  So, wouldn't that be the preferred
option of running busybox?

What I'm trying to say is, I'd expect that standalone busybox is
installed into /usr/bin, rather than hidden under
/usr/libexec/busybox-standalone/  It would use the commands from
/usr/bin for everything not in busybox itself, which sounds like a good
idea to me.

The non-standalone busybox OTOH, is something which is better off
encapsulated into /usr/libexec/busybox/ I think.  It comes with a set of
commands already available.  What's the sense except for testing
purposes?

Does that make sense or am I completet off-track here?

> The debug package for the 64-bit version is still missing. I didn't find out
> yet why cygport does only build the 32-bit debug package. Thanks for any
> help.

Hmm, weird.  Usually that occurs if your executables are stripped during
installation, or if the gcc CLI options required to build the debuginfo
are not propageted to the make process correctly.  But it beats me why
this should differe between 32 and 64 bit.