Re: [Attn Maintainer] octave

Marco Atzeri writes:
> /usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc is updating
>   "/usr/share/octave/packages"
> if any subdirectory under "/usr/share/octave/" has been added
> or removed, to update the octave package database.
>
> Why do you see actions under "/usr/lib" ?

I simply remembered wrong.

> See note on:
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2014-08/msg00033.html

In any case, making a whole directory mode 666 on a server isn't going
to fly.

>> Could you please remove that code and put the update into a post-install
>> script?
>
> It is build as such as a normal post-install script will not work.

TeXLive had the same problem, that's one of the reasons perpetual
postinstall scripts were introduced.  You can look at that to see how
Ken deals with that.

> I will look if I can find a mechanism that allow a common approach for
> the 50s octave-* packages.
>
> In the past these problems make another solution impossible:
>
> - the script must run octave and due to octave lib dependency a fork
> failures on 32bit was almost guarantee.

This is not a problem anymore since your postinstall action will be run
after autorebase.

> - the script must run for any postinstall - postremove of any
>   octave-* (forge packages). So
>   1) it will be heavy to run it 50 times, it must be a common one.

No, you just place a trigger that is then collected by the perpetual
postinstall.

>   2) we have no post remove.

With perpetual post-install, pre-remove is working just as well as long
as octave itself is installed.

>   3) If also octave is removed the post remove must not run.

In this case the perpetual postinstall script is also removed, so
whether the trigger is or isn't there makes no difference.

> - /usr/share/octave/packages does not exist if the database is empty
>   so I can not change its permission in the postinstall phase before
>   its creation.

Why is that?  Just because cygport by default removes empty directories?

Regards,
Achim.