Re: perl-5.22.0-RC2 / Perl distributions

Ken Brown writes:
> The latest version of Biber requires autovivification, XML::Writer,
> and Text::Roman.  And Test::Difference is required for running the
> tests.  Can you add those?

I have the first two already from my last look at Biberâ OK, the rest is
now up, too.

> Here's a trickier one: Biber wants Unicode::Normalize, version <=
> 1.17.  There's a comment that says "1.18 removes XS and is too slow".
> I'm not sure what to do about that.  Any advice?

That is due to a deprecation in Perl 5.20 and later:

Revision history for Perl extension Unicode::Normalize.

1.18  Tue May 27 22:04:23 2014
    - XSUB is now deprecated and removed. see perl 5.20.0,
      perldelta, Internal Changes, deprecation of uvuni_to_utf8 etc.

I don't know if it's still possible to build on 5.22, depending on where
in the deprecation cycle we are with that function.  But the earlier
module versions have been pulled from CPAN anyway and only 1.18 is
available.  If it's just "too slow", then why do the Biber folks care?

Regards,
Achim.