Re: Setup patch to keep test version if test version installed

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Feb  5 22:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and while you are so deep in the bowels of setup.exe, would it be
>> possible to somehow fake a pty to shell scripts and a console to cmd so
>> that the scripts run by setup.exe produce their output in line-buffered
>> instead of fully buffered mode?
>
> Er... uh... *cough*... PTC?

I was hoping you had an idea of how to do this.  I'm coming up empty.

> For Cygwin processes this would require to duplicate lots of the pty
> code from Cygwin to Setup.  For native commands it might be enough to
> play with the process creation flags in the call to CreateProcess, but
> that might lead to a flickering taskbar entry for a hidden console.

I've tried to look for recipes, but have not found any that look promising.

http://www.pixelbeat.org/programming/stdio_buffering/

I notice the lack of both unbuffer and stdbuf in Cygwin packagesâ
IÂdon't think it's possible to ask another application to flush their
buffers or is there?

> The other problem is that the stdio handles are redirected to a file
> and thus, even if you have a console or pty, the output from the command
> will use fully buffered mode.
>
> The only way around that, afaics, is some sort of global setting (env
> var?) for the buffering mode which is honored by native processes and
> which may be read by the Cygwin DLL as well to enforce line buffering.
> But I'm not aware such a setting exists.

Doesn't sound appealing.  Maybe we just have to live with it.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: