[HEADSUP] Base category

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:19:00 GMT 2014

On 12/9/2014 10:46 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/9/2014 2:52 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had occasion to do this when testing/debugging.  And I can imagine
>>> experienced users who correctly know that they can safely ignore some
>>> dependencies.  So I wouldn't want it to be impossible.  But maybe we can
>>> arrange it so that dependencies are installed by default, without a
>>> dialog,
>>> unless the user has explicitly requested the contrary.
>>>
>>> For example, there could be a checkbox on an early screen saying
>>> something
>>> like, "For each selected package, install all of its dependencies
>>> (RECOMMENDED)".  The box would of course be checked by default.
>>
>> Apart from the Base packages thingy which was my reason to start this
>> thread, the dialog as such isn't bad.  It's pretty much the same thing
>> as on Fedora (let's say, KDE's Apper), even more detailed.
>>
>> What about just not showing the "Select required packages (RECOMMEND)"
>> check-box, unless you use a certain command line option?
>
> That sounds good.  Maybe --show-deps?
>
> Ken

To me sounds wrong the concept, why we should hide this check to
the users ?
I have seen recently too many wrong dependencies pullings extra
unnecessary packages. I prefer to have users that could note the
issue and complain instead of installing "everything but the kitchen
sink" behind their back.

Marco