Re: cygport patches for TeX Live

On 12/18/2014 8:11 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 12/18/2014 3:22 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
I don't really like the idea of using /etc directly for this, what if
every package starts doing that?  If /usr/share/<package>/postinstall
doesn't work, we should at least create a subdirectory in /etc for this
purpose.

I used /etc/texmf because that directory is already created by TeX Live and is
used for various configuration files.  But I'm not wedded to that.  If we want
to settle on a standard place for packages to put postinstall marker files, I'll
go with whatever the consensus is.

So I could use /var/lib/texmf/postinstall for TeX Live postinstall markers. Note that /var/lib/texmf is already created and used by TeX Live for other data. In the TeX Live internals, this directory is $TEXMFSYSVAR, whereas /etc/texmf is $TEXMFSYSCONFIG:

$ kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFSYSVAR
/var/lib/texmf

$ kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFSYSCONFIG
/etc/texmf