Re: cygport improvements: upload, fish, src_prep_fini_hook

Andrew Schulman writes:
>> I don't think the !ready files should be created by cygport, at all.
>
> Yaakov will decide, but I disagree.

Well, that's that.

> The point of having an upload command
> is to relieve packagers of the tedium and likelihood of getting it wrong
> when they have to remember where to connect to and which commands to run to
> put what files where.  How much nicer to just run "cygport up" and let
> cygport handle it.

It then does not in fact work correctly when you're uploading from more
than a single cygport file that depend on each other.

> But cygport already does that.  They're in the dist/$PN subdirectory, all
> arranged as they need to be for uploading.  You can test them there until
> you're satisfied they're correct, before you run cygport up.

I frequently build multiple packages (in the case of Perl that means
tens to hundreds depending on whether I do a full rebuild or just
updates) and there's no way I'm ever going to upload anything directly
from the build machine to cygwin.com.  So what you're implementing isn't
useful in that situation for me.  I'll just patch cygport to link the
dist directories into my local mirror structure then.

> * !ready will only be created after all of the files have been successfully
> uploaded.  If there's an error during the upload, it's not created.

There is only a single cygport file handled for each invocation.

> * The current implementation puts the !ready file into a package-specific
> directory, e.g. /x86_64/screen, instead of /x86_64.  So by running "cygport
> up" you only flag a single package as ready, not the whole arch directory.

That is better, but still doesn't handle the case where dependencies
across packages change.  That is admittedly rare, but it's a limitation
of what you're implementing.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: