Re: [HEADSUP] Base category

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I still don't grok why everybody is so hot on keeping the base install
> so very small.  Our Base package set is really tiny in comparison
> with any Linux distro.  Perl is default on most of them.  Why not
> for us?  Disk space is dirt cheap these days.

It's more like the additional complexity and growing attack surface of
an install with tools you don't regularly use.  This discussion was (and
still is) going on for Linux just as well, only that the "more features
is better" camp has won.

> The dependency resolution algorithm is in setup, not in upset, and
> it doesn't belong there.  setup.ini is regenerated every time a
> package is updated.  Who's going to do the manual inspection of the
> results every time?

Only the leaf packages that are defined to be in Base should be in that
group, IMHO.  The set of dependencies is going to change regardless, so
trying to chase them is pointless.

> My concern is the useless "do you really want to install the following
> dependencies?" dialog.  It just doesn't make sense for the deps of
> the Base category.  Finding a neat solution which avoids this dialog
> would be nice to have.

As I said, setup.exe could treat dependencies of a Base package as
explicitly requested for install, just as it does for Base itself.  For
direct dependencies this isn't hard, following dependency chains this
way might require one more pass (unless we inject "Base" into the
dependencies we encounter).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: