Re: [RFC] incremental rebase

On 11/17/2014 6:54 AM, szgyg wrote:
Ken Brown, 2014.11.17. 12:00 :
What I have in mind is simpler than this.  There's nothing wrong with
the existing texlive postinstall scripts except slowness, due to the
repetition of time-consuming commands in different scripts.  So I just
need to do some rearranging:

1. I would create a pre-postinstall perpetual script that checks
/etc/postinstall to see if there are any ordinary texlive postinstall
scripts that are not marked as done.  If so, it runs mktexlsr.  [This
may not be necessary; I have to think about it some more.]

2. I would modify all ordinary texlive postinstall scripts to remove all
calls to mktexlsr, fc-cache, and updmap-sys, except for calls to the
latter that simply enable maps.  And I would remove the --nohash option
from those.  In addition, these scripts would create a marker file to
indicate that updmap-sys and fc-cache need to be run later.

3. I would create a post-postinstall perpetual script that runs
updmap-sys and fc-cache as needed.

I have a half-baked cygport patch for texlive postinstall. I dropped it
because I don't use cygwin's tex anymore, but it may have some value.

Packages put commands in /etc/postinstall/texlive. The first postinstall
script runs and removes them, so subsequent postinsall scripts will see
an empty workqueue. Ordering is done by assigning priorities to commands.

Thanks. I might try something like that if the current discussion doesn't lead to pre/post postinstall scripts. But I prefer the latter, because I'd rather not create a special postinstall system just for texlive.

Ken