Re: MTA packaging (exim, postfix, sendmail, ssmtp)

Hi Yaakov,

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> Corinna, Christian, Daniel, Pierre,
>
> While I'm working out the details of allowing all your MTA packages to
> coexist, it would be helpful if you could clarify under what
> circumstances, if any, you expect that your MTA could function as
> /usr/sbin/sendmail for the purposes of sending outgoing mail without any
> configuration on the part of users.

Sendmail needs to be started as a service. If you mean the Cygwin user (she who
installs Sendmail), I included a postinstall script. It installs the 'CYGWIN
sendmail' service, creates the Sendmail unprivileged user ('smmsp') and sets
permissions, needed by sendmail. Permissions are set on the following directories
and files:

/usr/sbin/sendmail.exe
/var/empty  (only if sshd is not installed)
/etc/mail/
/var/spool/clientmqueue
/var/spool/mqueue

Also, I included a /usr/bin/sendmail-config script, which checks the full hostname
of the box. If the hostname cannot be used as a fully qualified domain name, the
script suggests to change the Primary DNS suffix of the box.

If you mean the e-mail user who sends mail, no configuration is needed.

My source package will also be compiled by Ubuntu, Suze and Raspbian (Raspberry PI)
users. These OS-es are very likely to use alternatives also.

To avoid overriding any symlinks, I am considering changing the Makefile, so it will
install the binaries and system binaries like so:

/usr/sbin -> /usr/libexec
/usr/bin -> only if non-existant

Your thoughts on this?

Daniel