Re: [ITA] Git et al

On 2014-01-29 05:53, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
I have an outstanding issue with the packaging I've just spotted --
git-cvs relies on perl-DBD-SQLite, which doesn't exist.

More specifically, there has been one for x86_64 since I built git.x86_64 during the bootstrap, but I see now that I didn't add it for x86. I just uploaded an x86 package.

But along these lines, git-email also needs a few Perl modules which are not yet available for x86; I'll proceed with those as well, hopefully tonight.

Thinking about it, my build and packages take Yaakov's work over at
Cygwin Ports to split the Git packages (at the moment, git-cvs is part
of the main git package, for example, while my build separates it out).
I know there have been debates about this in the past; is there
currently any guideline about the best way to manage such package
splits?

I'm not sure to what debates you are referring, but the point of the split was to provide correct dependencies while isolating those to the components that actually need them. This was already done with the more obvious tcl-tk dependency of gitk and git-gui, but my packages took it a step further. So, for example, git-svn actually requires subversion-perl, but subversion is not small and not all git users are going to want that just in order to use git.

Yaakov