Re: [ITP] WeeChat -- Fast, light and extensible chat client

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:22:42AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> On Oct 11 18:34, Sebastien wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the developer of WeeChat, a fast, light and extensible chat client, released
> > under GPLv3.
> >
> > Web site: http://weechat.org/
> >
> > It is available in almost all Linux distributions, for example:
> >
> >   http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=weechat
> >   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/weechat
> >   http://software.opensuse.org/package/weechat
> >
> > I built packages using cygport for WeeChat 0.4.2 (released past Sunday), for
> > Cygwin 32/64 bit.
> >
> > This is the first time I used cygport, so please let me know if there is any
> > problem in the cygport file or the packages built.
> >
> > All files are available at this URL:
> >
> >   http://weechat.org/files/cygwin/0.4.2/
> >
> > Or at your convenience, one tarball with all files:
> >
> >   http://weechat.org/files/cygwin/weechat-0.4.2-cygwin.tar.xz
>
> Packaging looks good to me.
>
> > Here is the main setup.hint (for package "weechat", built on 32-bit Cygwin):
> >
> > [ setup.hint ]
> >
> > category: Net
> > requires: libaspell15 libcurl4 libgcc1 libgcrypt11 libgnutls28 libiconv2
> > libintl8 libncursesw10 zlib0 libaspell15 libcurl4 libgcrypt11 libgnutls28
> > libncursesw10 zlib0
> > sdesc: "Fast, light and extensible chat client (IRC/XMPP)"
> > ldesc: "WeeChat (Wee Enhanced Environment for Chat) is a fast, light and
> > extensible chat client (IRC/XMPP). Everything can be done with a keyboard, it is
> > customizable and extensible with scripts."
> >
> > As you can see, on 32-bit, cygwin auto-adds some required packages, and then
> > they are two times in the list (mine in cygport file + auto-added file). On
> > 64-bit Cygwin, there's no such problem. I don't know if it's a problem or not.
>
> I don't know why the difference between 32 and 64 bit, but it's not
> such a good idea to have dependecies twice in the setup.hint file.
>
> In general, the direct dependencies to libs are autogenerated by cygport
> and therefore should not be added to the cygport file.  So I suggest to
> remove the weechat_REQUIRES line completly.  The rest of the file looks
> well.
>
> Can you please regenerate the package without the weechat_REQUIRES?

Hi Corinna,

I have rebuilt all packages without the weechat_REQUIRES line. Now dependencies
are correct. Packages are at same URL:

  http://weechat.org/files/cygwin/0.4.2/

And I understood why they were missing: my locale is french under cygwin
(LANG=fr_FR), and the cygport tool is grepping output of "objdump -p" for the
text "DLL Name:" (file pkg_info.cygpart in cygport sources). When your locale is
not english, this text is translated (in french I have: "Nom DLL:").

So if I run cygport with this command:

  cygport weechat-0.4.2-1.cygport package

I have nothing in "requires" field.

Instead I have to run:

  LANG=C cygport weechat-0.4.2-1.cygport package

which gives all dependencies in the "requires" field.

I think it is a bug in cygport tool.
Or at least, if you consider it's not a bug, it should be mentioned in the help
that the tool must be run with an english locale (or LANG=C). Anyway, I think it
would be better to fix that, so that other users will not spent time like me to
understand why the "requires" field is empty!

Another thing I forgot to mention in my first e-mail, the "guile" plugin for
WeeChat is disabled in my cygport file, because Guile >= 2.0 is required, but
not (yet?) available in cygwin. When version 2.0 will be available, I'll be able
to build this plugin.

> One question:  As package maintainer, you should be subscribed to
> the cygwin and cygwin-apps mailing lists, the first one to receive
> questions and bug reports, the latter for the stuff maintainers
> talk about :)

Thanks for the info, I missed that. I have subscribed to the cygwin mailing
list as well.

--
Cordialement / Best regards
SÃbastien.