RE: questions on using cygport, first steps

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to do some first steps in writing an own cygport
> file in order to make a package for cygwin. Unfortunately, I did not
> come very far. :(
>
> So here is my question: Is there anything I need to to between
> creating the cygport file and executing the first cygport command?
>
> I copied the sample cygport file into the source folder (with only
> changes to "Name", "Version", "Summary", "Description", etc.) and
> tried to run:
>
> ren@Thinktank ~/Sources
> $ cygport Singular-4-0-0.cygport compile
>
> upon which I got the error message:
> /usr/share/cygport/lib/syntax.cygpart: Zeile 136:
> /home/ren/Sources/Singular-4.0.0-1/log/Singular-4.0.0-1-compile.log:
> No such file or directory
>
> Apparently cygport expects there to be some files which aren't there,
> hence my first question.
>
> best regards, Yue.
>
> P.S.: This probably won't be my only question, as I am trying to learn
> to use cygport, I hope this is the official channel to send my
> questions to.

Sometimes that it's not that straight. It depends if your application compiles directly onto cygwin, and the dependencies it has.

If you want to try something easy, you can try doing the steps for the pv application, which is linux native and I've helped porting it to Cygwin. Download the files from here (latest version)

http://cygwin.mirrors.hoobly.com/x86/release/pv/

Then go to the README file and follow the steps listed in the section 'Package creation (for the first time)'. You have a copy here:

http://pastebin.com/A78dRV1s