Re: Looking for test subjects for a new way to upload packages

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 06:39:45PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I'm tinkering with a new way to upload packages which will allow limited
>ssh access to sourceware.org.
>
>If any maintainer is interested in participating I'd appreciate it if
>you'd send me an ssh public key.  Ideally this would be someone who
>doesn't already have ssh access.  I'd like to experiment with people
>who don't already have accounts.
>
>Please send me private email with your public key and a short user name
>you'd like to see for the system.  And, hopefully, you'll be willing to
>participate in some back and forth while I work out the kinks.
>
>My email domain name is cgf.cx.  And I think you probably know my usual
>initials.

I didn't make it clear that this is intended to be a way for any package
maintainer to upload their own packages via ssh, i.e., no more RFU
messages here.  You will just upload your package, it will be lint checked
for completeness, and then the packages will be merged into the main
release area.

Right now, the way I'm trying to set things up are that you will be able
to sftp to sourceware and you'll be presented with a directory that
contains noarch, x86, and x86_64 directories.  You'd create a
subdirectory hierarchy underneath those, similar to what is now in the
release directories and upload packages there.

If this happens, I'll probably eventually start an archiving process
which will move old packages, not referenced by setup.hint, out of
the release area.

I need the public key to control who gets access to what.  I want to
set things up so that maintainers can only upload packages that they
are responsible for as per cygwin-pkg-maint.

cgf