Re: Please try new setup exe's

On Jul 19 11:58, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16 Jul 2013 03:05+1000, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >I'd appreciate it if people could try the two new setup.exe's
> >installed at http://cygwin.com/
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe for 32-bit
>
> This is not working for me against an existing install, where I am
> following a two-step process to install.
>
> That being, Download Without Installing first. To a completely wiped
> download directory (wiped when I ran into a similar problem on first
> attempt).
>
> Then separate run to Install from Local Directory.
>
> The problem I encounter is that the new packages selected during the
> Download step, do not appear when I try to perform the Install.
>
> Rather at the Install step, as expected, I get an immaculate list of
> packages currently installed.
>
> PS: in the first attempt, the packages downloaded did appear for
> selection and install. However, I encountered a error that was
> something like '(null) on reading file' and the installation did not
> occur.
>
> I wiped the download directory because I felt certain it was picking up
> the package availability from release directories downloaded by
> setup.exe. And was then looking for the actual package file in the new
> (offset by the x86 prefix) release directory.
>
> The changed behaviour seems to give affirmation to that.

I just tried it myself, and the behaviour is weird.  I always install
from a local mirror, and this still works as expected with the new
setup binaries.  The directory structure created by setup's "Download
only" is identical to the layout of a mirror.  Setup also picks up the
right setup.ini file, but then it presents an empty update list.  The
ini file is correct, the newer packages have been downloaded.  If you
then click through the available versions, the new version is not
shown at all.

I tried with the run2 package.  Installed version is 0.4.2-1, new
version is 0.4.2-2.  Both packages have been downloaded.  The update
view shows "Nothing to install/update".  The full view shows the run2
package, installed version 0.4.2-1, choices are "Keep" and "Uninstall".