Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink

On Jul  3 14:28, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> What I'm leaning towards doing is creating a new "cache" directory which
> just contains x86 and x86_64 directories with a setup.ini in each.  I'd
> get rid of the (IMO) stupid mangled site names since I don't think they
> are really important and just download files directly into x86*/release.
> setup.exe would only look in the architecture directory that it cared
> about for setup.ini, ignoring the other architecture.

Why introducing a new "cache" dir?  If you drop the mangled site dir,
you can just store the flattend directory structure below the local
install dir without introducing another directory level (except of the
x86/x86_64 subdirs, of course)

> If it's important than we could have setup do the old stupid way of
> looking up and down in non-"cache" directories for setup.ini but I think
> I'd like to retire that behavior.

There would be no way anymore to support multiple different installation
repositories, as with using cygwin and cygwinports in parallel.