Re: [RFC] cygport documentation

On 6/13/2013 13:50, Achim Gratz wrote:

a tutorial or
similarly styled explanation of how to use cygport,

That, or a recipe format, or a FAQ format. That is, one that starts with "how", rather than "what".

it would probably
help if the "manual" was called a "reference" to tone the expectations
accordingly.

Agreed. The current HTML manual -- awesome as it is compared to the old README file -- relies on you know know what you're looking for already. The biggest holes remaining are the missing answers for questions of the form, "How do I get Cygport to do X for me?"

It might also help to walk through several real cygport files:

1. A very basic one, such as one for an autotools based project that requires no patching and no special configuration.

2. A more complicated one showing how to do common things. You're in a much better position than me to define "common", Yaakov, so I won't try.

3. One for a package with a seriously oddball build system, requiring that you override a lot of what cygport tries to do for you by default.