Re: gettext packaging bug?

On 2013-06-12 14:08, Charles Wilson wrote:
However, why is libintl.h in gettext, and not in gettext-devel?

A header file belongs in the devel package if there is one, isn't it?

The upstream maintainer, Bruno Haible, strongly recommends certain
conventions when packaging gettext.  While we have to deviate from those
recommendations somewhat for cygwin, I tried to adhere as closely as I
could to them. See the attached PACKAGING file; what Bruno calls
"gettext-tools" I've packaged as "gettext-devel" more or less, and what
he calls "gettext-runtime" I've packaged as "gettext", with obvious
exception that DLLs themselves all get their own package(s).

However, in actuality, neither Bruno's "gettext-runtime" (our gettext)
nor his "gettext-tools" (our gettext-devel) really represent a
"traditional" runtime-vs-devel split.

Note that this means all of the following:

/usr/lib/libintl.a
/usr/lib/libintl.dll.a
/usr/lib/libintl.la
/usr/include/libintl.h

are actually in 'gettext' and *not* in gettext-devel.

IMO they really should be in the latter; if you're building a package which uses l10n, you need it anyway for autopoint, msgfmt, etc.

Yaakov