Re: [RFC] vim-minimal in Base?

On 2013-05-14 06:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Er... what?  Since when does syntax highlighting require perl?

Not directly: syntax highlighting requires files from vim-common, which pulls in perl due to other perl scripts contained therein.

The old vim package I compiled when I maintained it was built with the
--with-features=huge setting but didn't pull in any of the possible
dependencies.  No perl, no python, no ruby.  But syntax highlighting
worked fine.

The vim package still provides the huge feature set, now with the addition of lua/perl/python/python3/ruby support (dynamically loaded).

Basically, if you want features, keep using vim. Otherwise, ex/vi (vim-minimal) provides the basic POSIX functionality. The big change is that vi != vim anymore.

Apart from that, I guess calling vi (and that's what *many* users are
used to) will now result in the same error Frank reported.

The workaround will be to use ~/.virc with vi.

Any chance to build vim-minimal with a bigger default set of features
which is only based on avoiding external deps?

The bigger feature sets require the support files in vim-common, and *that* is the dependency which needs to be avoided for a minimal, Base-worthy ex/vi.

Yaakov