Recent cygport and cygwin-specific READMEs [Was: Re: GCC-4.7.2-2: Go/No-go?]

On 4/11/2013 2:58 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
Something else you missed: cygport supports a new, unversioned file
format, and creates setup.hint files, including dependency detection.  I
suggest using git master right now.

I know that cygwin-specific READMEs are now no longer required or expected in cygwin packages. However, I like to keep mine around to document things like packaging history, cygwin-specific user notes, build dependencies, and the like.

I'll admit, tho, that avoiding the need to maintain setup.hints outside of the cygport(5) is nice, at least for simple package sets (that have only one "binary" tarball, plus the -src and the debuginfo).

Three questions:

#1) Is it possible to also record cygwin-specific README content within the cygport(5)? [1] If so, can you do more than one? (I'm thinking here of inetutils, which has a separate cygwin-specific README for the -server (sub)package and for the -client (sub)package).

#2) Is it possible to use the auto-setup.hint-generator functionality for multi-part package sets (e.g. which contain multiple separate tarballs, in addition to -src and -debuginfo)? If so, how?

#3) As I've been gone for a while, I might've missed recent changes: do setup.exe and/or cygport support build dependencies directly in any way, rather than the ad-hoc put-it-in-a-cygwin-README "technique" I've been using 'til now?

[1] And I don't mean just putting a giant block of #-comment lines in the cygport(5). I mean ensuring that something gets intalled into /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ with the appropriate name and all.

--
Chuck