Re: 64bit: man misconfigured

On 1 April 2013 13:11, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 01.04.2013 14:03, schrieb Andy Koppe:
>
>> On 30 March 2013 11:17, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>>
>>> Due to changed /etc/man.conf, man64 uses escape sequences for bold
>>> display
>>> while man32 uses backspace combinations.
>>
>> Backspace combinations?
>
> The traditional Unix way to indicate bold, by explicit "overprinting", like
> B^HBO^HOL^HLD^HD.
> Compare man ls > ls.man.out with 32/64 bit versions.

Oh, I see. Apparently that's due to another change in the 32-bit
source patch, where the -c option is added to the 'nroff' command
line.

(Note besides: confused as to how that overprinting trick could
possibly work in a terminal, I learned that it is implemented by
'less', by translating it to SGR sequences. If you send ls.man.out
directly to the terminal, you don't see any bold or underline because
a backspace followed by a character will simply replace the previous
character rather than do anything special.)

Andy