Re: RFE: Cygw32 GNU Emacs Port

On Oct  9 23:13, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:45:01PM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
> >[Redirecting from cygwin to cygwin-apps.]
> >On 10/9/2012 10:19 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> When we release Emacs 24.3 packages for Cygwin, would it be possible
> >> to add a package for users who want to use cygw32 Emacs?
> >
> >It would be easy enough for me to do, assuming it builds without a
> >problem.  But I have a couple of qualms about it:
> >
> >1. This strikes me as going against the spirit of Cygwin, which tries to
> >emulate Linux.  Why shouldn't users who want a GUI version of emacs just
> >use emacs-X11, as they would on Linux?  We don't provide Win32 versions
> >of other X11 programs as far as I know.
> >
> >2. Because there is so much Windows-specific code in it, I wouldn't feel
> >competent to support it if users have problems.  I'm not at all familiar
> >with that kind of programming.
> >
> >I'd like to hear what others think, especially cgf and Corinna.
>
> I had similar mild concerns about the "un-Cygwinness" of it.  But, we do have
> other packages like mintty which have specific Windows code in them and, even
> the X package has to have Windows code.
>
> So, I'd leave the decision entirely up to your competent hands.  I'm
> amazed that you do such a good job supporting such a complicated package
> already so I'd expect that you could pick up the Windows stuff
> eventually.  The only question is really if you want to take on the
> added support costs.
>
> Maybe you could release it as a test package and see just how much bother
> it could be?
>
> Otherwise, I could say ABSOLUTELY NOT and you could blame me.  :-)

Not much more to say.  As an additional datapoint I'd like to point out
that Volker's XEmacs package also already comes with a Win32 GUI, which
is used by default if DISPLAY isn't set.

If a package has to choose (for technical reasons) between an X GUI and
a W32 GUI, I'd prefer the X GUI.  If both GUIs are possible in parallel,
it's the maintainer's call.