Re: [RFU] TeX Live 2012 (texlive-20120628-1, etc.)

Hi Ken,

I've been looking into the TeXlive postinstall scripts since just
running these takes over an hour in my installation.  As it turns out,
one can remove most of the churn by organising things a little bit
differently and collect the arguments into a single invocations of the
commands (only fmt-util can't do this).  This gets the postinstall
runtime down to just 5 Â minutes, so I think it is well worth the small
effort.  I've created a patch package for my installation:

$cygwin=http://cygwin.stromeko.net/
wget $cygwin/release/zzz_texlive-postinstall/zzz_texlive-postinstall-00001-1-src.tar.bz2
wget $cygwin/release/zzz_texlive-postinstall/zzz_texlive-postinstall-00001-1.tar.bz2
wget $cygwin/release/zzz_texlive-postinstall/setup.hint

The patch package overwrites the old postinstall scripts (that is also
why the name starts with "zzz") and drops a new postinstaller that takes
care of all requests that the packages have dropped into
/usr/share/texmf-dist/postinstall.  I've chosen to re-create all format
files at each run so the result will be consistent no matter what state
we start from, but conceivably one could just create the missing ones
and save three or four more minutes.

Regards,
Achim.